Saturday, September 23, 2017

I went to England...


For four glorious weeks last fall-- mid September to mid October. It was such a joy to spend time with all my friends and hear a British accent in my ear for one solid month. I visited as many National Trust sites and castles as I could squeeze in. Went to the infamous Bentley Wood Fair. Took a sculpture workshop in the Midlands. Used Airbnb for the first time (twice) and had the absolute best hosts... And that especially includes friends who gave me a place to lay my head for a month... I love England and leave a bigger piece of my heart there every time I visit.

Over the next month or so, I'll post a few pictures of places I visited. But, what has got me thinking about all this is that last weekend was the Bentley Wood Fair... and so I have spent some time reminiscing this week. And feeling homesick for my beloved England.

My first Airbnb experience ever was with Marianna in Lewis and it was fabulous. I had a wonderful bright sunny room and a duvet with little red flowers. What more could I ask? I was away at the Wood Fair most of the time, but was thankful for several opportunities to chat with Marianna over cups of tea in her cozy kitchen. I felt right at home. I did not have alot of time to explore Lewis much, but, did wander around a bit each evening as I was looking for supper. I must go back.

And now... a few pictures from Bentley Wood Fair 2016...



Two of my favorite willow people in the world were there.. John Waller (L) and Jake Whitcroft (R). If you've ever read any of my previous blog posts, you'll know already that I've spent a little bit of time hanging out with John, watching and taking workshops on traditional woodland crafts. Last time I visited, Jake was Johns apprentice. Now, Jake has a business all his own!

John Waller, Underwoodsman


spoons, burl bowls,and dibbers


baskets, baskets, and more baskets and flowers and hurdles and chairs-oh my!

The famous rustic hazel chair with willow seat and back on the left--equally beautiful new chair, almost finished, on the right.

JW inserting the stakes on a square basket--working on an order for 3 of the same.

Jake Whitecroft, Coffin Maker

Jake working on the border of a coffin.

Jakes coffins and baskets


some other cool 'woody' stuff by other people...


Mushrooms--a popular woodland theme




Another popular woodland theme--fairy doors.



and yet another... gnomes (upper left) cute as anything!








and of course--what English festival or fair would be complete without a Morris dancing group?!
There was lots of other vendors and demos too-some that I saw, some I did not... Horsepulling, tree climbing, pole lathe turning, shave horse demos... there was a group of woodcarvers each individually working on an exquisite carving of a bird.

To top it off, I got to see the Waller family (everyone so much more grown up!) and the Whitcroft family including their latest addition.

That was Bentley Wood Fair 2016! I had heard about it so much. Was really thrilled to finally get there myself!

until next time-
susie














No comments:

Post a Comment