Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Willow and Alder Harvest

Late last week I began harvesting Willow (Salix spp.) and Alder (Alnus sp.) in earnest for my upcoming piece for the Helen Day Art Center.

Expecting to begin installation on Saturday, I wanted everything to be fresh and flexible and not get dried out.

My friend Carla and I spent a couple hours Thursday afternoon and harvested a goodly amount of willow from their homestead right here in Waitsfield. I wasn't expecting the help, but was very thankful to have it. And, it is always nice to have someone to talk to when I am working outside in the tall grass. It helps keep me from thinking about the spiders, earwigs, snails and whatever other insect life might be making their way up my pants leg.

Or my trousers. Depending where you are, dear reader.

Our efforts yielded two good sized bundles of sweet smelling Willow.

The smell is like heaven on earth to me.

Willow, double blessing.

and this is Carla, hugging a bundle, she is loving it too!


and if you know me you know I like to ham it up, so, here I am!


Willow. The current love of my life!

One last picture of 'Oh Me' and 'Oh My', Carlas two sheep! Aren't they lovely?!



Thursday evening I harvested a bit more willow from another donor homestead in Waitsfield... thanks so much to DF for sharing your Willow with me!

Friday I spent a part of the afternoon harvesting the Alder from a patch at Hunger Mountain Christian Assembly in Waterbury Center. Conveniently located next to the parking lot for easy access. This patch of Alder is doing an amazing job of managing the water coming off the adjacent hillside thereby keeping their gravel parking lot nicely in place!

I got to use my new Silky Gomtaro 270 pruning saw. It's just like John Wallers Silky, but with a shorter blade, and I love it! Plus, it comes with it's own protective sheath that attaches to a belt!

I feel more and more like a real underwoodswoman every day!

Yes, I did get spoiled with John sharing his saw with me. So, I was excited when I was shopping around for my very own, to discover they carried them at the Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington where I have a huge credit due to consigning oodles of outdoor stuff before I went to England.

Nice.

I love when that happens!

Next time... installation! Stay tuned!

Willow love-
susie

No comments:

Post a Comment