Monday, July 28, 2014

Horn of Plenty...


Other wise known as a "Cornucopia".

Heading over to Wikipedia for a second...

"The cornucopia (from Latin cornu copiae) or horn of plenty is a symbol of abundance and nourishment, commonly a large horn-shaped container overflowing with produce, flowers, nuts, other edibles, or wealth in some form. Originating in classical antiquity, it has continued as a symbol in Western art, and it is particularly associated with the Thanksgiving holiday in North America."

Last week, while my favorite underwoodsman John and his trusted apprentice Jake were weaving willow to their hearts content as resident 'medieval' basket makers during a re-enactment at Arundel castle in England (www.arundelcastle.org/), I spent one afternoon sipping iced chai tea (yes, with cream) on a breezy front porch across the pond in Vermont, doing a little willow weaving of my own...

and voila. 

A cornucopia!




This is one of the first smaller, basket-like pieces I have designed, and made... all by myself. And I am well pleased with it!

I am very excited to say, that I will be doing a bit of teaching starting this fall at the Helen Day Art Center in Stowe, Vermont!

My first workshop will be Saturday, October 11th and we will be making a cornucopia, more or less like the one pictured above.

I have a couple other slightly different designs in mind too, and hope to make and sell them this fall... somewhere in the Green Mountains of Vermont.

If anyone has any ideas about where, please send me a note!

Oh my gosh! It's almost time for tea!
until next time...
susie



No comments:

Post a Comment