Thursday, January 30, 2014

Spatula #2

spatula
ˈspatjʊlə/
noun
  1. 1.
    an implement with a broad, flat, blunt blade, used for mixing and spreading things, especially in cooking and painting


This is the second one I made way back in December. Gave it as a Christmas gift to my friend Duncan. He really liked it too! Having done some wood working himself he was fairly well impressed with my craftsmanship.

This one only took me a couple hours from start to finish...

Go me!

Hope I have opportunity to make more things via shavehorse and drawknife while I'm here...

I love this sort of work and dream of wiling away the hours...sitting on the shavehorse, drawknife in hands... drinking in the smell of the wood, appreciating the curl of the shavings as they peel away from the piece and fall to the floor. They dry feather light and make the most wonderful kindling.

There is something enormously satisfying about working with wood... and making something useful and beautiful out of it.

This is reminding me of Dick Proennke and the video "Alone in the Wilderness" my friends and I watched repeatedly several years ago. It documents the story of his experience living in the Alaskan wilderness. In it, after he has finished building his log cabin, he needs a spoon so he can rustle up a stew for lunch.. so he makes one, right then and there... Dick says, "not bad for a days work".

I agree.
Love from England-
susie




No comments:

Post a Comment