Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Looking East, 6 Degrees North - Part 4 Installation

Day 5 - Sunday, June 30

Last night, after I left Stowe I drove to Warren to pick up the 3 log seats Richard Czaplinski had cut and prepared for me. He and Kinney also let me borrow their ‘stone boat’ to haul the log pieces from my car to the structure.

That was the first thing I tackled today.

Have you ever seen or used a stone boat? I had not prior to last night. It’s basically a sled made out of wood. Has a little raised lip on the sides and back to keep the stone, or in this case the logs, from sliding or rolling off. A good strong rope attached at the two front corners for pulling. It is very low tech, and works like a dream. Richard had gotten the logs and sled in the car for me. It was up to me, myself and I to get them out and over to the structure.


So, pink back pack loaded with necessary tools, hats, sunscreen, water, juice, and a long sleeved shirt, because even though I was generous with the sunscreen and applied it often, I still managed to get a little burned the day before. It’s like 94 (that might be a slight exaggeration) degrees and humid as anything. The last thing I really want to do is wear a long sleeved shirt!

Anyway, backpack on my back and the log on the sled, I get the rope around my waist and lean into it. It is surprising just how far forward I have to lean to get the sled moving, and to keep it moving. I shortened the rope a few feet, which gave me a knot to hold onto and seemed to make the whole thing work a bit better for my short frame. They used to pick on me during tree felling in England because to get the 6 foot log sections out of the woods I’d hug one end to my side and under an arm, lean forward and drag, ‘like an ole mule’ they’d say.

That’s right.

I’d say ‘slow and steady wins the race’.


That was my motto in this case too. Whew. I got the log over to the site, off the sled and into the structure, then I sat down on it for a blessed few minutes and drank water before I headed back with the sled for log number 2.

I had to stop about 5 times the second time around. I’d count 50 steps then rest to the count of 25, then go again. I’d be tired by 40 steps but I’d think, only ten more, I can do 10 more steps!

This is a direct result of my training times with Nate up at Dukes Fitness Center in St. Albans. I would think I had done the correct number of reps, but it seemed like Nate would always say “3 more”.
Really? Only 3 more? I can do that.


Here I am, playing the 'ole mule' one more time.

You are wondering how I managed to get a picture of myself?

Okay. I confess. Susie and Rob Connerty and their girls (human and canine) came to visit and bring me a rake. This picture was in fact staged. Rob actually brought log # 3 over from the car for me, because, quite frankly I decided after log #2 that log #3 was going to wait for another day or more lest something important in my body burst from the exertion.

Rob also raked up my twiggy and leafy debris and disposed of it far, far(ish) away. Thanks Rob!

The rest of the day I wove willow. Tied clove hitches. Talked with people. Wove more willow. Posed for more pictures. Talked with more people. And took an ample number of breaks sitting on the log seats. Trying out each one like Little Red Riding Hood.

A wonderful couple from Toronto, Canada stopped and we talked a good long time. We did a mini photo shoot. My backpack with the structure. Me with the structure. Them with the structure. It was fun!
They even located my email address via my artists page on the HDAC website, and emailed me the results of our picture taking.

Here they are, Bernd Weller and Annie Zhu. It was great to meet you both. Thanks for stopping by, and for sending along the pictures!


About an hour later it was time to go. I don’t remember why exactly. I only know it was.

Look at those pine log seats!! Aren't they gorgeous? I love the way the (removed) side branches look in contrast to the lichen covered outer bark! Thanks so much Richard, for creating them for me!
I've got to give Richard a plug for something else too, of immense interest to me. He has an awesome root cellar system going and holds a wealth of knowledge on the subject, in case any of you are interested in food storage possibilities.

I hope these log seats get a ton of use over the next few months.


End day 5.
(Are you thinking I didn’t really get much more accomplished?
I know. It kinda looks that way to me too…

Sigh.
But listen, clove hitches don’t really show up that well from this distance, you know?!)

susie





No comments:

Post a Comment